Thursday, August 14, 2008

41 Life Goals

Dear lil' dude,

I was reading the new copy of Glamour yesterday, a favorite magazine of mine. I am always careful to take my time when reading magazines so as not to skip a single page. Yesterday was no different. I came across an article in the Life & Happiness section, the category being open diary.

The article was titled, 5 Months to Say Goodbye. It was as sad as the title indicated, but one of the best pieces of writing I've ever read. In short, a 27-year-old named Danielle had just moved to San Francisco, (a lifelong dream) when she was diagnosed with glioblastoma multiforme, the most aggressive malignant brain tumor there is. She was given a prognosis of "six months to I don't know" to live.

What is extraordinary about Danielle is during her senior year of college, five years before her diagnosis, she made a list of 41 life goals. The list was written on plain white paper, in blue ink, and she folded it up and carried it in her wallet every day. It was like a Bucket List, but before she knew it would end up being that. By the time she found out about her tumor, she'd already done more than half the things on her list. Go, Danielle!

Lil' dude, I wanted to write this for you to encourage you to write a goal list as soon as you are able, or want to. Do it before you think you need to, before it has to become a finality or legacy. Do it the minute you realize you have goals and dreams and aspirations as big as the sky. You can do whatever you want, sweetheart. Do it all.

And, in case you don't know what to write, or where to start, I'll share with you Danielle's list for inspiration. She had some pretty amazing goals I think everyone should aspire to conquer.

1. Quit my day job
2. Make friends
3. Drive across the USA once by the northern route, once by southern, and once visiting all Major League Baseball parks
4. Live outside the US, maybe Holland or Ireland
5. Write a book
6. Be a rock star
7. Be a DJ
8. Be an artist
9. Build something really cool
10. Have a cool Mustang
11. Go river rafting
12. Love a lot
13. ?
14. Play rugby, golf, and baseball
15. Climb a mountain
16. Get another degree
17. Have a really great dog
18. Be really cool
19. Start record label and promote female rock artists
20. Make a movie of my life
21. Fight sexism and other oppressions
22. Have a daughter with my name
23. Make amends
24. Help people
25. Sail away
26. Throw a party with people I love
27. Love myself
28. Be a better athlete
29. Be a camp counselor
30. Create
31. Drive a pickup truck
32. Carve a really great pumpkin
33. Fall in love
34. Live in different places
35. Swim a lot
36. Be able to open up more
37. Think better + clearer
38. Go on tour
39. Rock this world
40. Be alive
41. Be really alive

I am saving this list for you, lil' dude. I will tape it to your bedroom door.

Mama loves.

No comments: