Thursday, September 25, 2008

Beginning

Lil' dude, four years ago today, Daddy asked Mama to marry him.

The day was gorgeous. Gorgeous! Sunny and crisp with blue skies and green grass. Mama was completely shocked. Never have I been so surprised in my whole life. I was wearing old gray sweatpants, and a summer basketball camp t-shirt that was 7 years old. I had a greasy ponytail and a headband in. I wore tennis shoes. Oh, and, I was on some pretty heavy painkillers after a long night in the ER ... where it was discovered I had an ovarian cyst, a pretty big one and it hurt. Daddy took Mama to the hospital in the middle of the dark night and held my hand the whole time. He wiped my tears and whispered to me. He told me everything was going to be OK and I was doing great and would be taken care of. And he was right.



So, 12 hours later when Daddy got on his knee and said those tiny, big words, I was surprised. And happy and excited and elated and emotional and so ready for the future. You, baby girl, were that future. You are our present. Daddy and Mama married each other because we knew we would be better off together than we would separate. We wanted to be part of an Us and that is what we found in each other. Four years ago was just the beginning; yet today is also just the beginning. You were always our purpose and our mission and our belief. You always will be.

Mama loves.

No comments: