Friday, December 5, 2008

St. Nicholas Day

When I was in high school, I took German as my language requirement. I'm part German so the decision was easy. I wanted to learn more about my ancestors, their cultures, their traditions. It was in German class I learned about St. Nicholas Day.

In Germany, tradition has it children put a boot, called Nikolaus-Stiefel, outside their front door on the night of December 5th. St. Nicholas fills the boot with gifts and treats, while checking up on the children to see if they've been good.

Since I learned more about St. Nicholas Day, I thought it would be a tradition I would want to incorporate into my children's lives one day. A tradition that was maybe unique to our family, not something everyone else had to celebrate. That's the beauty of becoming a parent- establishing your own traditions is solely up to you. It's not something I take lightly!


The lil' dude left her boots out last night. Since her feet are so tiny, St. Nicholas left her gift wrapped neatly for her to find at breakfast time this morning.


Her eyes got big as I sent her gift on her lap. I helped her open an end to get started.


It didn't take the lil' dude long to realize the tearing noise of the wrapping paper sounds much like the tearing noise of ripping up magazines or newspapers. She loves that. She became real excited!


St. Nick brought the lil' dude some Little People animals that will match a Christmas gift Santa is bringing her. Those old guys work together in a centuries-old partnership bringing good girls and boys holiday cheer.

So, happy St. Nicholas Day, lil' dude. Here's to the first of many of our family traditions.

No comments: