Friday, June 26, 2009

Sad Music

I had a purple Beat It t-shirt when I was three. I love, love, loved Michael Jackson. I also had a Michael Jackson doll my Grandma made me; he had on white pants, a sequined red jacket, and signature one glove. Back in those days, in one of our first apartments as a family, we had cable TV somehow. We had MTV as a channel and I remember sitting on the coffee table, directly in front of the TV, watching the Thriller video over and over again. Probably not appropriate for a little kid, but I loved his music.

One of the lil' dude's aunties, Auntie B., lists Billie Jean as one of her favorite songs. That goes back to high school, and probably before. To this day, if I hear that song while driving, or playing in a bar somewhere, at or someones wedding reception, I'll call Auntie B., or send her a text. Music connects people. Music makes memories.

Driving in today, with the lil' dude strapped in the back seat, we listened to the radio. Every station was filled with Michael Jackson. Music montages of all his hits. Teary fans calling in, likening the loss to our parents' generation and Elvis. DJ's talking about their favorite songs, and "I remember when" moments relating to the King of Pop's decades in the industry.

In lyrics, let's all remember:
You Have to Show Them That You're Really Not Scared
You're Playin' With Your Life, This Ain't No Truth Or Dare
They'll Kick You, Then They Beat You,
Then They'll Tell You It's Fair
So Beat It, But You Wanna Be Bad ...
Just Beat It, Beat It, Beat It, Beat It
No One Wants To Be Defeated
Showin' How Funky Strong Is Your Fight
It Doesn't Matter Who's Wrong Or Right

No comments: