Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Three More Sleeps 'Till Christmas

When I was a kid, we taped A Muppet Christmas Carol off the TV onto a VHS tape. That movie, from 1992, became our family's favorite holiday film. I know I haven't seen it since I left home, and I am sure that chubby VHS was long ago thrown away.

This past weekend, My mom received A Muppet Christmas Carol DVD during our family's Christmas. My brother and I both excitedly recalled our fond memories of watching that movie, cramped together in our small family den. How, during Bob Cratchit's singing of "One More Sleep 'Till Christmas", my Dad would rewind and rewind and REWIND that scene as it played this verse;

'Tis the season to be jolly and joyous
With a burst of pleasure we feel it arrive
It's the season when the Saints can employ us
To spread the news about peace and to keep love alive


The beauty of today's technology? Forwarding through the scene catalogue on the DVD to find that scene.
Which, my Dad played over and over again. Just like the good old days.
This time, he had a new member in the audience to appreciate it.

No comments: