Tuesday, December 13, 2011

All That Glitters & Is Sticky

Photo Credit

Today, I am thankful for the flexibility I have in my workplace.
So I could volunteer to bake Christmas cookies with 20 4-year-olds.
It was one of my favorite Mama memories to date.
The lil' dude's heart visibly swelled with pride and anticipation as I walked her into school, and stayed.

I have never been so happy to come to work bearing chocolate smudges on my sweater. With glitter everywhere. The kids? All covered in glitter and happy stickiness. I was just collateral damage to the December wonderfulness!
And I stamp-guarantee my Mini will remember this day for years to come. Her freaky little memory works just like mine does: awesomely.

As I stood over each of her little classmates and surefire friends, introducing myself as the lil' dude's mom, it dawned on me how the next chapter of life is going to be. As some one's mom. A little productive member of society. She'll introduce me to her friends and teachers and friend's parents. I will show up and I will disappoint her when I can't. Eventually, I will show up and I will disappoint her when I can. She'll wish I could appear. She'll wish I could disappear. But, we'll tread through that as the time comes.

For now, it's about a gigantic smile and endless hugs and needing me more than anything has ever been needed in a sea of sugar cookies. Right where I want to be.

No comments: