Monday, May 7, 2012

Miss Lippy


Don't let the adorableness fool you; this sweet face knows sass ... and how to apply it properly.
Right now, my own Mama is laughing all alone somewhere. She mentioned on the lil' dude's 4th birthday just how difficult four would prove to be. I laughed. Surely not.

Oh hindsight. How dare you.

A few Sundays ago, I woke up my sleeping daughter so we could go to Sunday school while Daddy golfed. She fluttered her eyelids and said, I don't wanna go to Sunday school. But you can take me to breakfast for stickies.

Stickies are French toast with sausage. I obliged her and we headed to our favorite local diner.

Since we were looking for a breakfast spot during the Sunday rush, we had to settle for spaces at the counter. The lil' dude thought that rocked- think of all the attention that little face above garnered front and center of a busy diner!

Nearing the end of our meal, the owner, Jean, said to her, "Now I know you look familiar sweetheart. What's your name?"

Without skipping a beat my Miss Lippy responded with, It's the same as it was the last time I was here and you asked me.

Oh yes she did.

Those in earshot burst out in laughter. The lil' dude held her steady gaze, licking syrup off her fork.

Jean, once composed said, "I know honey. I remember you're named after your Grandma, and that it's Norwegian. I just don't remember your name!"

The lil' dude said her name aloud and finished her breakfast. And Jean kept chuckling promising she'd never forget her name again. I assure you, 49 people in that diner will never forget her name.

When I mentioned this story to my parents, my Dad simply nodded. He said the lil' dude was simply processing logic during the transaction. That logically, she knew Jean knew her name from the last visit. She wasn't being bratty or rude; she was processing.

Leave it to Papa to come to the rescue of his one and only granddaughter!

No comments: